Saturday, October 10, 2015

A paradigm shift

The post I'll be publishing below was written by me on 20th August, 2014 and it has stayed safe in my notes since then. I happened to read it today (because every things seems attractive when you have a prof around the corner) and realised how much change my life has gone through in one year. Although I still think lack of career counselling is a major problem in our society and it needs to be emphasized upon, but my own hatred for my profession has lessened over time and I've become positive about life as a whole. Last year was most vulnerable part of my life and I was in phase of discovering a new direction for me since the old one had lost. My ideological shift and a major heart break left me vulnerable and bitter. It wasn't hatred for my profession that made me write this, it was my life situations and my agony of not knowing where I was going. But now, I'm going through prep leaves and third year is tough and I don't love it particularly but I don't hate it either. Hope of passing and graduating after a few years keeps me going and I've started thinking about my future career options. Its a good sign, life is better now and I'm at a better place. It makes me proud how strong I've become, and how I've recovered from that misery on my own. My writing career, my struggles and my openness to learning new things is what has made me come this far.
PS I've just started exercising daily to build a healthy life. Its just another proof  of productive changes I'm incorporating. 
And the post I'm talking about is right here:
Where do I stuff my dreams!
Since beginning of my second year in medical, I've been ranting a lot about my boring studies. It feels like, just out of nowhere it has dawned on me that pursuing medicine degree isn't something I want to do. Albeit my entry into this profession at an expense of two extra depressing and arduous years, at this stage of my life, I reckon I've been gulled by my love for biology into a tooth and nail fight for something not more than a flaring squib. My seniors tell me things will get better once my wards begin, because clinical part is completely different from theoretical one, and it incites a chunk of vitality in my otherwise dull life. But nothing bars my dreams from badgering me! While I take my white coat on, something dies inside and blares the image of me dressed up like Jessica Pearson and getting with heads on to a job I love. I won't mind Dona Paulson either to be honest but wait, if you think it has something to do with my Suits mania, trust me, its not. I could be a Fulbright scholar perusing an English literature degree from Harvard and spending extra time in a sophisticated library of my own. Then comes my hysteria to visit Europe as well, with a DSLR flauntingly hanging on my shoulder, and photographing every possible scenic location. You see? I want to be anything but a doctor. But alas! Since I've entangled myself into this, It will never spare me and that is what I hate most about this degree. It adamantly sticks to your life, draining all your energy and time.
When I bring myself to think about where the flaw has been, it goes back to my schooling and entails on presence of career counselling nowhere in my academic life. Quite unsurprisingly, majority students encounter this very situation of being unaware about prevailing  professional opportunities. Result:Choices they get narrow down to medicine and engineering only. In fact, try asking a kid what he wants to be when grown up and he will proudly tell you about his wish of being a doctor or an engineer. You see, it is ingrained in us from our very childhood. Apart from this, our education system is devoid of creativity and critical thinking and the real purpose of education has long lost. A race of marks is going on and our literary machinery is producing programmed economic slaves who seldom have any idea about what they want to do with their miserable lives. In any case this issue needs to be addressed immediately. I love Amir Khan with all my heart for making a movie like Three idiots as an explicit embodiment of social stigma which has lead hundreds of student to tedious lives they don't want to pursue at first place.
If I had been counselled in my school or college life, I would have discovered my true passion and pursued that instead of wasting two years for getting into medicine which has lost its charm in just a year.  
Anyway, there is still a hope of getting all my dreams come true if I manage escaping vicious cycle of studying, getting married and having kids (don't tell my mom I said this!). Because I have courage to rebel for my dreams, no matter how stupid they seem to others but right now all I'm left with is this overrated profession. Meanwhile I can just hope people understand importance of much needed consultation every student requires to uncover his hidden interests and decide the profession he indeed wants to follow. And yes, I do wish our desi community starts realizing that life exists beyond medicine and engineering too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment