Friday, October 9, 2015

Rant of a non-conformist

We can divide people into two groups- conformists who follow social norms without castigating them and non-conformists (or read it radicals) who have this urge of questioning and challenging pre-established dogmas. Latter ones choose to make their own standards. and let me tell you, they are rare species, who are unfortunate enough to end up like this and get brutally judged by self-assumed superior geeks. The vitriol is obvious considering that we live in a society whose fabric is weaved by threads of indoctrination. And anyone who try to rip those patterns, is eyed as an outcast or rebel who has no respect for traditions. On the contrary, confirmists live happily here because they have all worked it out. They fit in the herd and herd owns them. Its common sense you see, we tend to make friendships with people who are more like us. Now I've no problem with this acceptance, but I would be happy for them only if I enjoy same perks for being a radical because believe it or not, it doesn't make me any less of a human. Plus how can you even expect everyone to rationalise this conformity or to be okay with it? Is it so abnormal to have a deviatory view that we have to slap labels like extremists, rebels, pseudo-liberals on people's faces. What if all the lambs in the herd like eating grass, but one doesn't find it that interesting? Does it mean that very lamb is an attention seeker or rebel so need to be seen with contempt because he might have an hidden agenda? This analogy might sound ridiculous to you but trust me it is simple as this. If I like beef steak, but you find it bland, would I accuse you of going behind my back or a cow's back for that matter? Nope, because it sounds crazy. People have different tastes you see. If its a popular fact that beef steak is tasty, but someone thinks contrary, the only reason is that his definition of taste ain't similar to yours-right or wrong aside. Same goes with opinions. If I formulate an opinion that doesn't conform to your or society's standards, it simply means I've a different perspective than yours and sure I've my own reasons. Why do you have to be so threatened by it or label me as an attention seeker? I mean I can judge you for not having the balls to challenge anything fed to you since your childhood but I don't do that because its none of my business. And I'm not weak enough to get offended by a mere opinion which doesn't suit my stinking standards. So, people need to stop, just stop name calling, judging or ridiculing one another for sake of satisfaction because having a different opinion doesn't make anyone a threat or a danger to a society, country or a religion. If anything it does, that is ensuring diversity and propagation of different ideas and last time I checked diversity brought change. So, it would be relieving if people just for once, try to wrap their heads around it and try compassion and acceptance instead of hostility. Period. 

No comments:

Post a Comment